Monday 10 June 2013

COWLEY MANOR FOUNTAIN


 
 
 
 
When I was roaming around the grounds of Cowley Manor sometime around 1996 or so, I couldn't help notice this fountain feature. Although it must have looked rather grand in its heyday, as you can see in the photos I took of it when I was there, it was crumbling away and in need of some repair work.
Having said that, I actually liked it in this decayed condition, it appeared quite eerie and I could almost imagine it being used as a video backdrop by some Goth rock band!
The manor itself belonged to the milky drinks family, the Horlick's.
Lewis Carroll once visited the place too - so it would be amusing to think that perhaps the idea of Alice falling asleep and dreaming of Wonderland was inspired by one of Horlick's "drink me" nightcaps!
Then to emphasise it, a big pot of Horlicks at the tea party keeping the dormouse drowsy!
I think the manor might have been sitting empty when I visited but nowadays it's been turned into a popular hotel, and so I assume the fountain has since been given a makeover too.

No comments:

Post a Comment