Tuesday 4 February 2014

PEWIES & GREEN'S



Here's another example of a name change for the same premises.
The top image is when it was called Pewies Parlour, and underneath it is when it was called Green's Diner.
I'm a bit vague on a couple of aspects - which one it was first, did Pewies change to Greens or was it vice versa?
I also don't have the date order of the photos which would have solved the question - but they were definitely taken sometime around the late 90's and early 2000's.
Also, I've no idea if either of the 2 are still there or if the premises has changed yet again?
What I do know is, the location was up a small side street in Gloucester!

3 comments:

  1. Pewie's Parlour was a great little eatery - good food, friendly staff - and is much missed now. Gloucester was seriously lacking in decent cafes in those days ( before the proliferation of coffee shops ) so it was a real favourite of ours. I believe the name changed after the business changed hands but I could be wrong. There's now some kind of cocktail bar on that site. Oh yeah, and the street is called Bull Lane, so named because farmers ( including my grandfather ) used to drive cattle down there towards the original Gloucester cattle market in King's Square.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the extra info.
    I've not been along that way for a few years but will have a little wander along there next time I'm in that part of town.
    The hairdresser across from Pewies in the photo was called Streaks Ahead, another place I've no idea if it's still in business or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you do wander down Bull Lane you'll find a cafe called Pepper's which is family owned, friendly and does some great food. I think it's one of Gloucester's hidden gems, worth checking out. And they're not paying me to say that :-)

    ReplyDelete